Recipes and Cooking Chocolate Sour Cream Cake with Fudgy Frosting Be the first to rate & review! With fudgy frosting holding this hefty cake together, it's ideal for potlucks and tailgates. By BHG Test Kitchen BHG Test Kitchen The Better Homes & Gardens Test Kitchen has been in continuous operation for nearly 100 years, developing and testing practical, reliable recipes that readers can enjoy at home. The Test Kitchen team includes culinary specialists, food stylists, registered and licensed nutritionists, and other experts with Bachelor of Science degrees in food science, food and nutrition, or culinary arts. Together, the team tests more than 2,500 recipes, produces more than 2,500 food images, and creates more than 1,000 food videos each year in the state-of-the-art test kitchen. Learn about BHG's Editorial Process Updated on May 9, 2019 Print Rate It Share Share Tweet Pin Email Prep Time: 45 mins Bake Time: 25 mins Total Time: 45 mins Servings: 16 Jump to Nutrition Facts Ingredients 2 eggs 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder 1 teaspoon baking powder ½ teaspoon baking soda ½ teaspoon salt ½ cup shortening 1 ¼ cup sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla 3 ounce bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled 1 8 ounce carton dairy sour cream 1 cup milk 1 recipe Fudgy Frosting Fudgy Frosting 1 12 ounce package semisweet chocolate pieces ½ cup butter 1 8 ounce carton sour cream 4 ½ cup (1 lb.) sifted powdered sugar Directions Let eggs stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Set aside. In small bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In large bowl beat shortening and sugar on medium speed until combined. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in melted chocolate and sour cream. Alternately add flour mixture and milk; beat on low after each addition just until combined. Divide batter evenly between the prepared pans. Using a small offset spatula or rubber spatula, smooth the top of batter in each pan. Bake 25 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool cake layers in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Using a small metal spatula, loosen sides of each cake layer. Place a wire rack on top of one pan; carefully invert pan with rack. Lift pan off cake layer. Repeat with the remaining cake layer. Cool cake layers on wire racks about 2 hours or until completely cool. Prepare Fudgy Frosting. Place one layer flat side down on plate. Spread top with 1 cup frosting. Stack second layer flat side down. Spread the top and sides with the remaining frosting. Makes 16 servings. Fudgy Frosting In large pan over low heat melt and stir semisweet chocolate pieces and butter. Cool 10 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Stir in powdered sugar; stir until smooth. Makes 4 cups. Blaine Moats Rate it Print Nutrition Facts (per serving) 555 Calories 27g Fat 77g Carbs 4g Protein Show Full Nutrition Label Hide Full Nutrition Label Nutrition Facts Servings Per Recipe 16 Calories 555 % Daily Value * Total Fat 27g 35% Saturated Fat 14g 70% Cholesterol 56mg 19% Sodium 201mg 9% Total Carbohydrate 77g 28% Total Sugars 63g Protein 4g Calcium 90.9mg 7% Iron 2mg 11% Potassium 193mg 4% Folate, total 32.3mcg Vitamin B-12 0.2mcg Vitamin B-6 0mg *The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.