Chocolate Bread Pudding with Mocha "Cream" Sauce
- Lightly coat a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Or line the cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner and lightly coat liner with cooking spray. Set cooker aside.
- In a medium saucepan heat milk over medium heat until very warm but not boiling. Remove from heat. Add chocolate pieces and cocoa powder (do not stir); let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth; cool slightly (about 10 minutes).
- In a large bowl combine egg substitute, chia seeds, and chocolate mixture. Gently stir in bread cubes. Transfer mixture to the prepared cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting about 2 1/2 hours or until a knife inserted near the center of pudding comes out clean (mixture will puff). Turn off cooker. If possible, remove crockery liner from cooker and place on a wire rack. Cool, uncovered, for 30 minutes (pudding will fall as it cools).
- To serve, spoon warm pudding into dessert dishes. Drizzle with Mocha "Cream" Sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
To dry bread cubes, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Spread fresh bread cubes in a single layer in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until cubes are dry, stirring twice. Cool.
Mocha "Cream" Sauce
- In a small saucepan stir together sugar, cocoa powder, and cornstarch. Add evaporated milk, espresso, and liqueur. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Serve immediately or chill before serving. Makes about 1 cup.
Nutrition Facts (Chocolate Bread Pudding with Mocha "Cream" Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 326 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 7 mg chol. ,
- 249 mg sodium ,
- 51 g carb. ,
- 6 g fiber ,
- 22 g sugar ,
- 13 g pro.