Chipotle Braised Short Ribs and Cheesy Polenta
- Trim fat from ribs. Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper. Place flour in a shallow dish. Dip ribs in flour, turning to coat. In a 6- to 8-quart Dutch oven cook ribs, half at a time, in hot oil over medium-high heat until brown on all sides. Drain off fat. Add wine, broth, dried thyme (if using), garlic, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan bring the water to boiling. Add sugar; stir until sugar is dissolved. Add carrots, parsnips, and onions. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes or just until vegetables are tender; drain. Submerge vegetables in a large bowl of ice water; cool for 5 minutes. Drain; cover and chill until needed.
- Add tomatoes, chipotle peppers, and fresh thyme (if using) to rib mixture. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes. Stir in chilled vegetables. Simmer, covered, about 30 minutes more or until ribs are very tender. Remove bay leaf.
- To serve, use a slotted spoon to transfer ribs and vegetables to shallow bowls. Spoon Cheesy Polenta alongside the ribs and vegetables. Skim fat from cooking liquid; spoon some of the liquid over ribs and vegetables.
From the Test Kitchen
To peel onions easily, cook in boiling water for 30 seconds. Drain and cool. Cut a thin slice off each root end and squeeze from the other end to remove the peel.
- In a large saucepan bring 2 1/2 cups water to boiling. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine cornmeal, cold water, and salt. Slowly add cornmeal mixture to boiling water, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture returns to boiling. Reduce heat to low. Cook, uncovered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until mixture is very thick, stirring occasionally. Stir in milk. Gently stir in Parmesan cheese until melted.
Nutrition Facts (Chipotle Braised Short Ribs and Cheesy Polenta)
- Per serving:
- 463 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 60 mg chol. ,
- 1100 mg sodium ,
- 43 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 11 g sugar ,
- 25 g pro.