Chinese Chicken Salad
- Sprinkle chicken with pepper. Place chicken in a 3- to 4-quart slow cooker. Add celery, onion, and garlic. In a small bowl combine hoisin sauce, soy sauce, ginger, sherry, chili sauce, and sesame oil. Stir into mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a cutting board, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid. When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove chicken from bones, discard bones. Shred chicken by pulling two forks through it in opposite directions.
- For dressing, in a screw-top jar combine the reserved 1/2 cup cooking liquid and the rice vinegar. Cover and shake until combined; set aside.
- In a large salad bowl combine chicken, romaine, carrot, cashews, and cilantro. Before serving, shake dressing and drizzle over salad. Toss to coat.
From the Test Kitchen
For easy cleanup, line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Nutrition Facts (Chinese Chicken Salad)
- Per serving:
- 230 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 71 mg chol. ,
- 584 mg sodium ,
- 16 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 9 g sugar ,
- 21 g pro.