Chili-Cheese Corn Bread
The day before:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Place the 1 tablespoon butter in an 8x8x2-inch baking pan or disposable foil pan. Place pan in preheated oven about 3 minutes or until butter is melted. Remove from oven; swirl butter to coat bottom and sides of pan.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine eggs, milk, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture; stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Fold in cheese, chile peppers, and chili powder.
- Pour batter into the hot pan, spreading evenly. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Wrap corn bread in pan in a double thickness of heavy foil and chill overnight.
- Tote corn bread in pan in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, prepare grill. For a charcoal grill, reheat foil-wrapped corn bread on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals about 15 minutes or until heated through. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place foil-wrapped corn bread on grill rack over heat. Cover and reheat as above.)
From the Test Kitchen
8x8x2-inch disposable foil pan (optional)
Insulated cooler with ice packs
Green Onion-Bacon Corn Bread:
Prepare as directed, except fold 1/3 cup crumbled, cooked bacon and 1/4 cup sliced green onions into the batter. Tote and reheat as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Chili-Cheese Corn Bread)
- Per serving:
- 279 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 72 mg chol. ,
- 454 mg sodium ,
- 28 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 9 g pro.