Chilaquiles Verdes with Bacon and Eggs
- Preheat broiler. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil. Place tomatillos and serrano chile pepper in the baking pan. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 11 to 13 minutes or until softened and charred, turning occasionally. Set aside to cool slightly. Transfer tomatillos and chile pepper to a food processor or blender; cover and process until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a Dutch oven cook and stir onion in oil over medium heat for 6 to 7 minutes or until onion is tender and golden. Add garlic; cook and stir for 1 minute. Carefully add tomatillo-chile pepper puree; cook and stir over high heat until mixture is boiling. Stir in chicken broth. Season with salt, if desired. Stir in cilantro; remove from heat.
- Arrange half of the tortilla chips in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Pour half of the tomatillo sauce over chips, covering chips with sauce. Drizzle half of the crema over the sauce. Sprinkle with half of the cheese and half of the bacon. Repeat with the remaining chips, sauce, crema, cheese, and bacon. Let stand for 5 minutes to soften the chips. Using a ladle or large spoon, make 8 indentations in the casserole. Break an egg into a small cup and gently pour egg into an indentation in the casserole. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- Bake chilaquiles on a middle rack in the preheated oven for 26 to 30 minutes or until eggs are set and casserole is bubbly and lightly browned on the edges. If needed, loosely cover with foil during the last 5 minutes of baking to prevent overbrowning. If desired, serve with hot pepper sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
*Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin an eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Omit the bacon and eggs. Add 2 cups cooked shredded chicken, half at a time, when layering the mixture in step 3.
Nutrition Facts (Chilaquiles Verdes with Bacon and Eggs )
- Per serving:
- 525 kcal ,
- 33 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 7 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 11 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 230 mg chol. ,
- 625 mg sodium ,
- 39 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 20 g pro.