Spice-Rubbed Chicken with Roasted Onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. In large shallow roasting pan place half the onions in an even layer. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside. Fold chicken neck skin onto chicken back, secure with small skewer; tie legs to tail with kitchen string. Tie wings close to body or twist wing tips up and tuck under back of the chicken.
- In small bowl combine sugar and remaining seasonings. Brush chicken all over with oil. Sprinkle spice mixture and rub in with fingers. Place chicken, breast side up, on onions in pan. If desired, insert meat thermometer into center of inside thigh muscle. (Thermometer should not touch bone.) Loosely cover with foil.
- Roast for 1 hour. Remove foil. Add remaining onions to pan. Roast, uncovered, 30 minutes; cut strings on legs and wings. Roast 30 to 45 minutes more or until drumsticks move easily in their sockets and chicken is no longer pink (180 degrees F in thigh). Cover with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Serve chicken with roasted onions and chard leaves. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Spice-Rubbed Chicken with Roasted Onions)
- Per serving:
- 618 kcal ,
- 42 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 9 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 19 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 191 mg chol. ,
- 438 mg sodium ,
- 9 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 49 g pro.
candersen82081098 19 Days Ago
This spice blend is fantastic. I actually keep it premade now to have on hand. The cooking method gives the bird flavor and keeps it moist. The smell of the dish while cooking is divine. I also lift the skin as much as possible and rub the blend all over the meat. Easy prep and clean up, too. Love, love, love this one!
Stephanie P 673 Days Ago
There's a nice variety of roasted chicken recipes here. For prep, cooking technique, and temperature info, check out this roast chicken video and how-to guide: https://www.perdue.com/how-to/roasting/ #IWorkWithPerdue