Roast Chicken with Raisin Corn Bread Stuffing
- In a small saucepan simmer celery and onion in the 1/4 cup chicken broth until tender. In a medium mixing bowl combine undrained celery mixture, raisins, dillweed, and salt.
- Add corn bread and beaten egg white; toss gently until mixed. Drizzle with desired amount of additional broth to moisten; toss gently to mix.
- Loosely spoon stuffing mixture into body cavity. Pull neck skin to back; fasten with a small skewer. Slip drumsticks under band of skin to secure or tie the drumsticks securely to tail. Twist wing tips under the back. Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan.
- Roast, uncovered, in a 375 degree F oven for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until drumsticks move easily in their sockets and the thickest part feels soft when pressed or until the meat is no longer pink. If using a meat thermometer, it should register 180 degrees F to 185 degrees F when placed in the center of the thigh.
- When chicken is done, remove it from the oven and cover with foil. Let stand for 15 to 20 minutes before carving. Remove skin before serving. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Bake any of this herbed and slightly sweet stuffing that won't fit in the bird separately in a covered casserole for the last 30 to 45 minutes of chicken roasting time.
Prepare and bake the corn bread. Cover and store at room temperature up to 1 day ahead.
Nutrition Facts (Roast Chicken with Raisin Corn Bread Stuffing)
- Per serving:
- 355 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 111 mg chol. ,
- 659 mg sodium ,
- 30 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 32 g pro.