- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Rinse the inside of chicken; pat dry with paper towels. Skewer neck skin of chicken to back (see photo); tie legs to tail. Twist wing tips under back. Place chicken, breast side up, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Brush with melted butter; rub garlic over chicken.
- In a small bowl stir together basil, sage, thyme, salt, and lemon-pepper seasoning; rub onto chicken. If desired, insert a meat thermometer into center of an inside thigh muscle (see photo). (The thermometer should not touch bone.)
- Roast, uncovered, for 75 to 90 minutes or until drumsticks move easily in their sockets and chicken is no longer pink (180 degrees F). Remove chicken from oven. Cover; let stand for 10 minutes before carving. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Herb-Roasted Chicken and Vegetables:
Before roasting chicken, in a large saucepan bring lightly salted water to boiling. Add 1 pound red potatoes, quartered (or halved, if small); 3 carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch pieces; and 1 medium turnip, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces. Add to boiling water. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes; drain. Add drained vegetables and 1 medium onion, cut into 1-inch chunks, to the bottom of the roasting pan around chicken. Drizzle vegetables with 2 tablespoons melted butter or margarine and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Roast as directed above, stirring vegetables once or twice during roasting. To serve, place chicken on serving platter. Arrange vegetables on serving platter around chicken.
Nutrition Facts per 4 ounces chicken + 2/3 cup vegetables: 799 cal., 51 g total fat (17 g sat. fat), 233 mg chol., 657 mg sodium, 28 g carbo., 4 g dietary fiber, 54 g protein.
Daily Values: 119% vit. A, 50% vit. C, 9% calcium, 24% iron.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch, 7 Medium-Fat Meat, 1 Vegetable, 2 1/2 Fat
Nutrition Facts (Herb-Roasted Chicken)
- Per serving:
- 625 kcal ,
- 45 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat ,
- 9 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 19 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 217 mg chol. ,
- 408 mg sodium ,
- 1 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 0 g sugar ,
- 50 g pro.