- Remove the neck and giblets from chicken. Place the chicken, breast-side down on a cutting board. Use kitchen shears to make a lengthwise cut down one side of the backbone, starting from the neck end. Repeat the lengthwise cut on the opposite side of the backbone. Remove and discard the backbone. Turn chicken cut-side down. Flatten the chicken with your hands. (Try to make it as flat as possible.) With your kitchen shears remove the wing tips. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over chicken.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan combine nectar, hoisin sauce, garlic, and hot pepper sauce (if using). Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until thickened and sauce is reduced to about 3/4 cup; set aside.
- For direct grilling, place the chicken, cut side up, on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Turn using tongs. Grill for 20 minutes more. To glaze, brush with some of the sauce. Grill 5 minutes more or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thigh portion registers 180 degree F. (For indirect grilling, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above the pan. Place the chicken, cut side up, on the grill rack over the drip pan. Cover and grill for 45 minutes.Turn using tongs.
- To glaze, brush with some of the sauce. Grill 5 minutes more or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thigh portion registers 180 degree F. )
- Bring remaining sauce to boiling; pass with chicken. Serve chicken with sliced fresh guava and green onions. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Oven Roasting: Prepare chicken and sauce as above in Steps 1 and 2. Place chicken on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Roast, uncovered, in a 425 degree F oven for 35 minutes. To glaze, brush with some of the sauce. Roast for 5 to 10 minutes more or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thigh portion registers 180 degree F.
Nutrition Facts (Guava-Glazed Chicken)
- Per serving:
- 272 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 79 mg chol. ,
- 478 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 25 g pro.