Good Ol Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- Remove the skin from the chicken; halve breast pieces crosswise. Place chicken pieces in a self-sealing plastic bag set in a large bowl. Sprinkle chicken with the 1/2 teaspoon salt. Pour buttermilk over chicken. Seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or overnight, turning bag occasionally to coat chicken.
- Drain chicken, reserving 1/2 cup of the buttermilk. In a shallow dish combine the flour, paprika, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper. In another shallow dish combine the eggs and the reserved buttermilk. Coat chicken with the flour mixture, then dip in egg mixture, then dip in flour mixture again. Place chicken pieces on a tray; set aside while oil heats.
- In a 12-inch electric skillet heat 1/2-inch of oil (about 3 cups) to 350 degrees degree F (about 10 to 15 minutes). Carefully add chicken to the skillet. Reduce temperature setting to 325 degree F. Fry, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Turn chicken and fry 10 to 12 minutes more or until golden and chicken is no longer pink (internal temperature should be 180 degrees). Drain on paper toweling. Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Sprinkle with Vinegar Splash or malt vinegar. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
In a Dutch oven heat 1-1/2-inch of oil (about 6 1/2 cups ) over medium heat to 350 degree F. Using tongs, carefully add a few pieces of chicken to the Dutch oven. (Oil temperature will drop; maintain at 325 degree F.) Fry chicken for 12 to 15 minutes or until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest portion of chicken reads 180 degrees and coating is golden, turning once. Drain on paper toweling. Keep warm in a 300 degree F oven while you fry remaining chicken.
- In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, hot pepper sauce and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts (Good Ol Buttermilk Fried Chicken)
- Per serving:
- 390 kcal ,
- 18 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 169 mg chol. ,
- 625 mg sodium ,
- 22 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 34 g pro.