Garlic Chicken Stir-Fry
- Cut chicken into 1/2-inch pieces. Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish. For marinade, stir together water, soy sauce, and vinegar. Pour over chicken; seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Drain chicken, reserving the marinade. Stir cornstarch into reserved marinade; set aside.
- Pour oil into a wok or large skillet. (If necessary, add more oil during cooking.) Heat over medium-high heat. Add green onion, mushrooms, and garlic to wok; cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes or until tender. Remove vegetables from wok.
- Add chicken to wok; cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until no longer pink. Push chicken from center of wok. Stir marinade mixture; add to center of wok. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Return cooked vegetables to wok. Add water chestnuts. Cook and stir about 1 minute more or until heated through. Serve with rice. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Garlic Chicken Stir-Fry with Cashews:
Prepare as above, except stir 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper into marinade. Stir in 1 cup cashews with water chestnuts.
Nutrition Facts per 1 cup: 511 cal., 25 g total fat (5 g sat. fat), 49 mg chol., 495 mg sodium, 44 g carbo., 3 g fiber, 30 g pro.
Daily Values: 10% vit. A, 18% vit. C, 9% calcium, 25% iron
Exchanges: 2 1/2 Starch, 3 Very Lean Meat, 1/2 Vegetable, 4 Fat
Nutrition Facts (Garlic Chicken Stir-Fry)
- Per serving:
- 313 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 49 mg chol. ,
- 490 mg sodium ,
- 33 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 25 g pro.