- For sauce, in a medium saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot butter until onion is tender. Carefully stir in the undrained tomatoes, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or to desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Stir in basil. Keep warm.
- Meanwhile, with a meat mallet, pound each chicken breast half between two pieces of plastic wrap to 1/4-inch thickness.
- In a shallow dish stir together bread crumbs, the 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, and oregano. In another bowl stir together the egg and milk. Dip chicken breast halves in egg mixture, then in crumb mixture to coat. In a 12-inch skillet cook chicken in hot oil over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden. Transfer chicken to a serving platter.
- Spoon sauce over chicken. Top with shredded mozzarella and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Let stand about 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above, except substitute 1 pound boneless veal sirloin steak or boneless veal leg round steak, cut 1/2-inch thick for the chicken breast halves. Cut meat into 4, serving-size pieces and pound to 1/4-inch thickness as above.
Creamy Tomato Chicken Parmigiana:
Prepare as above, except after simmering the sauce for 10 minutes or to desired consistency, slowly add 3 tablespoons whipping cream, half-and-half, or light cream, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 3 minutes more and then stir in the basil.
Nutrition Facts per 3 ounces chicken + 1/3 cup sauce: 418 cal., 24 g total fat (9 g sat. fat), 152 mg chol., 715 mg sodium, 15 g carbo., 1 g fiber, 34 g pro.
Daily Values: 11% vit. A, 24 % vit. C, 19% calcium, 11% iron.
Exchanges: 1 Vegetable, 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 4 1/2 Very Lean Meat, 4 Fat
Nutrition Facts (Chicken Parmigiana)
- Per serving:
- 379 kcal ,
- 20 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 10 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 137 mg chol. ,
- 711 mg sodium ,
- 15 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 34 g pro.