Chicken and Squash Tagine
- Prepare Moroccan Spice Mixture. Rub chicken pieces with 1 tablespoon of the Spice Mixture.
- Place the tagine vessel bottom on a heat deflector on the stovetop over medium to medium-high heat. (For Dutch oven option, see below). Add 2 teaspoons oil to hot tagine. Carefully add chicken. Cook, uncovered, half at a time if necessary, 6 to 8 minutes or until browned, turning once. Remove chicken; set aside. Add remaining oil, onions, garlic, and saffron to vessel. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Place squash over onion mixture. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of Spice Mixture (reserve remainder for another use); toss lightly. Top with chicken; pour broth over all. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to medium to medium-low. Cover; simmer for 1 hour. Add raisins; cook for 10 to 25 minutes more or until chicken is done (170 degree F in breast portion; 180 degree F in thigh and leg pieces) and squash is tender.
- To serve, uncover tagine vessel. Drizzle with honey; sprinkle with parsley. Serve directly from vessel. (Or remove chicken and squash to serving platter with slotted spoon; drizzle with honey. Spoon on desired amount of pan juices. Sprinkle with parsley.) Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Dutch Oven Variation:
Rub chicken with 1 tablespoon Spice Mixture. In a 4-quart Dutch oven heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add chicken. Cook, uncovered, for 6 to 8 minutes, turning to brown evenly. Remove chicken. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to Dutch oven. Add onions, garlic, and saffron. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add squash. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoon Spice Mixture; toss. Add chicken and broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. Add raisins; cover and cook for 10 to 25 minutes more until chicken is done and squash is tender. Serve as above.
Moroccan Spice Mixture
- In a bowl, mix together salt, crushed red pepper, ground cardamom, ground cloves, turmeric, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground coriander and black pepper. Makes about 3 tablespoons.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken and Squash Tagine)
- Per serving:
- 332 kcal ,
- 8 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 61 mg chol. ,
- 369 mg sodium ,
- 46 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 23 g pro.