Chicken and Duck Hunter Stew
- In a 6-quart Dutch oven cook chicken drumsticks and duck, half at a time, in hot oil about 15 minutes or until lightly browned, turning to brown evenly. Remove chicken and duck, reserving drippings in the Dutch oven; set drumsticks aside. Cover and chill the duck portions in the refrigerator.
- Add mushrooms, onions, and garlic to drippings in pot. Cook and stir about 5 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Return drumsticks to Dutch oven.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine tomatoes, sweet peppers, Marsala, tomato paste, olives, vinegar, salt, and black pepper. Pour over drumsticks in pot. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Add duck; return to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer 25 to 30 minutes more or until poultry is tender. Just before serving, stir in oregano and rosemary. Serve stew with couscous. Makes 12 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare stew as above, adding herbs before freezing, if desired. Chill the stew quickly by placing the Dutch oven in a sink of ice water. Divide mixture between two 2-1/2- to 3-quart freezer containers. Seal, label, and freeze up to 1 month. To reheat, place freezer containers in refrigerator overnight to partially thaw. Place mixture in Dutch oven.
Cook over medium-low heat until mixture is completely thawed. Increase heat to medium and cook just until bubbly, about 35 to 40 minutes total (do not overcook or duck may toughen). Add herbs just before serving if not added before freezing.
To make this stew with all chicken: Substitute 12 chicken thighs for the duck; add the thighs and drumsticks back into the pot all at once.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken and Duck Hunter Stew)
- Per serving:
- 393 kcal ,
- 14 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 129 mg chol. ,
- 407 mg sodium ,
- 28 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 33 g pro.