Cheesy Chicken with Corn Bread
- In a 3-quart saucepan cook bacon until crisp; remove bacon, reserving drippings. Drain and crumble. Set bacon aside.
- Cook sweet pepper and onion in reserved drippings over medium heat until tender. Stir in flour, bouillon granules, nutmeg, and pepper. Add milk and water all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add chicken or turkey, cheddar or American cheese, mushrooms, and pimiento. Cook and stir until cheese melts and chicken is heated through.
- To serve, split corn bread squares horizontally and place on individual plates. Top with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon. If desired, garnish with fresh tarragon.
From the Test Kitchen
Cool, wrap, label, and freeze the baked loaves individually. Before serving, rewrap frozen loaf in foil and place in a 375 degree F oven about 25 minutes or until heated through.
Buttermilk Corn Bread
- Grease a 9x9x2-inch baking pan or two 9x5x3-inch loaf pans. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl stir together 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 cup yellow, white, or blue cornmeal, 2 to 4 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. In another bowl beat together 2 eggs, 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk, and 1/4 cup cooking oil. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
- Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake in a 425 degree F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.* Serve warm. Makes 8 or 9 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Cheesy Chicken with Corn Bread)
- Per serving:
- 580 kcal ,
- 27 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat ,
- 159 mg chol. ,
- 1171 mg sodium ,
- 45 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 40 g pro.