Buttermilk-Brined Fried Chicken
- For brine, in a resealable plastic bag set in a bowl combine the 3 cups buttermilk, the coarse salt, and sugar. Cut chicken breasts in half crosswise. Add all chicken pieces to the brine; seal bag. Turn bag to coat chicken with brine mixture. Chill for 2 to 4 hours; remove chicken from brine. Drain chicken; pat dry with paper towels. Discard brine.
- In a large bowl combine flour, the 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Divide flour mixture evenly between two shallow dishes. Place the 3/4 cup buttermilk in another shallow dish. Dip chicken into flour mixture in the first shallow dish, turning to completely coat. Dip flour-coated chicken in the buttermilk, turning to coat. Coat again with flour mixture in the second shallow dish.
- Meanwhile, in a deep, heavy Dutch oven or kettle, or a deep-fat fryer, heat 1-1/2 inches oil to 350 degrees F. Using tongs carefully add a few pieces of chicken to Dutch oven. (Oil temperature will drop; maintain temperature at 325 degrees F.) Fry chicken for 12 to 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F for breasts; 180 degrees F for thighs and drumsticks), and coating is golden, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Keep fried chicken warm in a 300 degree F oven while frying remaining chicken pieces. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Spicy Buttermilk-Brined Fried Chicken:
Prepare as above, except add 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper to the flour mixture.
Pecan Buttermilk-Brined Fried Chicken:
Prepare as above, except, reduce the flour to 1-1/4 cups and add 3/4 cup ground pecans to the flour mixture.
Nutrition Facts per 3 ounces chicken: 585 cal., 40 g total fat (7 g sat. fat), 88 mg chol., 1,191 mg sodium, 25 g carbo., 2 g fiber, 33 g pro.
Daily Values: 1% vit. A, 2 % vit. C, 10% calcium, 17% iron.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Starch, 3 1/2 Medium-Fat Meat, 4 Fat
Nutrition Facts (Buttermilk-Brined Fried Chicken)
- Per serving:
- 549 kcal ,
- 30 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 88 mg chol. ,
- 1191 mg sodium ,
- 35 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 34 g pro.