Better-Than-Grandma's Chicken and Noodles
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, place carrots, parsnips, onions, and celery. Top with chicken; sprinkle with thyme, sage, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pour chicken broth and sherry over chicken.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 hours. Stir in noodles. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Cover; cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours more or until noodles are tender.
- Remove chicken. When cool enough to handle, coarsely shred chicken and stir into mixture in slow cooker. Add peas; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. If desired, garnish with fresh sage leaves.
From the Test Kitchen
*Test Kitchen Tip:
If using fresh onions, cook in enough boiling water to cover for 30 to 60 seconds; drain and rinse with cold water. Cut off root ends and slip off peels.
Nutrition Facts (Better-Than-Grandma's Chicken and Noodles)
- Per serving:
- 372 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 147 mg chol. ,
- 857 mg sodium ,
- 46 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 27 g pro.
lostlake146072 177 Days Ago
Definitely double the broth and sherry! Couldn't find frozen egg noodles so cooked dried on stove and added to each bowl; better for leftovers too. I think chicken will look nicer diced rather than shredded.
Jessica Trettin 956 Days Ago
I doubled the chicken broth -- 28 oz was no way near enough broth! Otherwise, awesome recipe!