Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Place chicken in a large pot; cover with water (about 8 cups). Add the 1 cup cilantro, onion, jalapeno peppers, habanero pepper (if desired), salt, and black pepper to pot.
- Bring to boiling. Skim any froth that forms on the top; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until chicken is very tender. Remove chicken to cool slightly. Strain broth; leave chile peppers in for additional heat, if desired. (Note: Broth can be simmered longer, uncovered, to reduce and make more flavorful.)
- Let broth cool and skim fat from top (or use a fat separator).
- Remove chicken from bones, shred, and add back to broth. Heat through in the pot.
- Serve soup with lime wedges for squeezing. If desired, garnish with Tortilla Strips, Grilled Corn, tomatoes, avocado, the chopped cilantro, and/or queso fresco. You can add sauteed collard greens for a nice Southern touch.
From the Test Kitchen
Slice four 6-inch corn tortillas into 1/2-inch strips. In a 10-inch skillet heat 2 cups canola oil over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Add tortilla strips in batches. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle lightly with salt. Makes 2 cups.
Remove husks and silks from ears of corn. Brush corn with oil and lay flat on a grill rack or in a grill pan. Grill about 10 minutes, turning until corn is a little charred and plump to the touch. Cut kernels from cobs. Makes 1/2 cup per ear of corn.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken Tortilla Soup)
- Per serving:
- 242 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 67 mg chol. ,
- 705 mg sodium ,
- 13 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 22 g pro.