Chicken Souvlaki Skewers
- Cut chicken lengthwise into 16 strips. Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag set in a shallow dish.
- For marinade, in a small bowl combine oil, vinegar, lemon peel, lemon juice, garlic, salt, oregano, thyme, and pepper. Pour marinade over chicken. Seal bag; turn to coat chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
- Drain chicken, discarding marinade. Thread chicken, accordion-style, onto sixteen 6-inch skewers.*
- Grill chicken skewers on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 8 to 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F), turning once. (Or place skewers on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 8 to 10 minutes, turning once.)
- To serve, arrange skewers on a platter and serve warm with Onion Yogurt Sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 30 minutes; drain before using.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken Souvlaki Skewers)
- Per serving:
- 64 kcal ,
- 2 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 21 mg chol. ,
- 195 mg sodium ,
- 1 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 9 g pro.