Chicken, Shrimp & Chorizo Paella
- In a small bowl combine saffron and 1/4 cup hot water; let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a 15-inch paella pan heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan. Cook, turning occasionally, until chicken is browned, about 5 minutes. Add chorizo. Cook 1 minute more. Transfer all to a plate. Add onion and garlic to pan. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and paprika. Cook and stir 5 minutes more or until tomatoes are thickened and almost pastelike.
- Return chicken and chorizo to pan. Add chicken broth, saffron mixture, and 1/2 tsp. salt; bring to boiling over high heat. Add rice to pan, stirring once to evenly distribute. Cook, without stirring, until rice has absorbed most of the liquid, about 12 minutes. (If your pan is bigger than your burner, rotate every few minutes to ensure the rice cooks evenly.) Reduce heat to low. Cook, without stirring, 5 to 10 minutes more until all the liquid is absorbed and rice is al dente. Top with shrimp and peas. Turn heat to high. Cook without stirring, 1 to 2 minutes more (edges should look dry and a crust should form on the bottom). Remove. Cover pan with foil. Let rest 10 minutes before serving. Top with olives, if desired, and parsley.
From the Test Kitchen
To grate tomatoes, core and cut tomatoes in half. Grate on the coarse holes of a box grater into a shallow dish. Discard skins.
Prepare as directed except reduce rice to 1 1/2 cups and reduce chicken broth to 4 cups.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken, Shrimp & Chorizo Paella)
- Per serving:
- 577 kcal ,
- 17 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 322 mg chol. ,
- 927 mg sodium ,
- 63 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 5 g sugar ,
- 41 g pro.