Chicken Pho Ga
- In a 6- to 8-quart Dutch oven place whole chicken and chicken pieces. Add the next six ingredients (through cloves). Remove leaves and tender stems from cilantro; set leaves aside. Add cilantro stems to Dutch oven. Add enough cold water to cover. Bring just to simmering over medium heat. Skim off any foam. Simmer, uncovered, 35 to 40 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (180 degrees F).
- Remove whole chicken from Dutch oven (keep broth in pot at a simmer). When chicken is cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones. Return skin and bones to pot. Using two forks, pull chicken meat apart into coarse shreds. Cover and chill shredded chicken until needed. Simmer mixture in pot, uncovered, 1-1/2 hours more.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine noodles and enough warm water to cover. Let stand about 20 minutes or until pliable but not soft; drain.
- Strain broth through two layers of 100%-cotton cheesecloth placed in a colander; discard solids. Skim fat from broth. Return broth to Dutch oven; stir in fish sauce.
- Place noodles in a large saucepan of boiling, lightly salted water to heat. Drain and divide noodles among warm large bowls. Top with green onions. Add shredded chicken to broth; heat through. Ladle broth and chicken over noodles. Serve with the reserved cilantro leaves, bean sprouts, basil, mint, jalapeno pepper(s), lime wedges, and chili sauce.
From the Test Kitchen
To toast coriander seeds, heat a small, dry skillet over medium heat. Add seeds and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until toasted and aromatic, shaking skillet frequently.
Chile peppers contain oils that can irritate your skin and eyes. Wear plastic or rubber gloves when working with them.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken Pho Ga)
- Per serving:
- 535 kcal ,
- 34 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 7 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 14 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 141 mg chol. ,
- 1115 mg sodium ,
- 26 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 30 g pro.