Chicken Lo Mein
- Cut chicken into bite-size strips. In a medium bowl combine 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce, the rice vinegar, and 2 teaspoons of the sugar. Add chicken; toss to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes or cover and chill for 1 hour. Cook noodles according to package directions until tender; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain well. Set noodles aside. For sauce, in a small bowl stir together chicken broth, the remaining 4 tablespoons soy sauce, the remaining 2 teaspoons sugar, and the cornstarch. Set aside.
- Pour vegetable oil and sesame oil into a wok or large nonstick skillet. Heat over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add carrot; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add bok choy and green onion; cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove vegetables from wok.
- Drain chicken; discard marinade. Add chicken to wok (add more oil, if necessary); cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes or until no longer pink. Push chicken from center of wok. Stir sauce and add to center of wok. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add the cooked noodles and vegetables. Using two spatulas or wooden spoons, lightly toss the mixture until combined and heated through. Transfer to a serving platter. If desired, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
From the Test Kitchen
Beef or Pork Lo Mein:
Substitute 12 ounces beef sirloin steak or lean boneless pork for the skinless, boneless chicken breast halves. Cut meat into bite-size strips. Prepare as directed except in Step 3 cook beef or pork for 2 to 3 minutes or until beef is desired doneness or pork is no longer pink.
Per 1 1/3 cups: 339 cal., 9 g total fat (2 g sat. fat, 0 g trans fat), 64 mg chol., 617 mg sodium, 42 g carbo., 2 g dietary fiber, 22 g protein.
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 2 Lean Meat, 1 Fat
Shrimp Lo Mein:
Substitute 1 pound fresh or frozen shrimp in shells for the skinless, boneless chicken breast halves. Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp (see photos 1-3, page XXX). Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. Prepare as directed, except in Step 3, cook shrimp about 3 minutes or until opaque.
Per 1 1/3 cups: 324 cal., 8 g total fat (1 g sat. fat, 0 g trans fat), 126 mg chol., 657 mg sodium, 43 g carbo., 2 g dietary fiber, 21 g protein.
Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 Lean Meat, 1 Fat
Nutrition Facts (Chicken Lo Mein)
- Per serving:
- 326 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 73 mg chol. ,
- 615 mg sodium ,
- 42 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 7 g sugar ,
- 22 g pro.