- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place the flour in a shallow dish or a sturdy plastic bag. Add chicken pieces, a few at a time, to the dish or bag and turn or shake to lightly coat chicken with flour. Heat two 10- to 12-inch skillets (or use one electric skillet and one 10-to 12-inch skillet) over medium-high heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil to each skillet. Brown the chicken in the hot oil for 10 to 15 minutes, turning to brown evenly . Remove chicken from skillets and set one skillet aside.
- Add the carrots and the onions to other skillet, adding more oil if necessary. Cook and stir vegetables for 4 minutes. Add the garlic cloves and cook 1 minute more. Add the vinegars to the skillet. Cook, uncovered, about 3 minutes or until most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally. Transfer half of the vegetable mixture to the first skillet. Add 2 cups of the chicken stock and 1 tablespoon of the fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme) to each skillet. Bring mixture in each skillet to boiling.
- Add the light-meat chicken pieces to one skillet and the remaining chicken pieces to the second skillet. Divide potatoes between the two skillets. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 30 to 40 minutes or until chicken is tender, no longer pink, and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the light meat pieces registers 170 degrees F and in the dark meat pieces registers 180 degrees F. (Light meat pieces may be done a few minutes before dark meat.)**
- Transfer chicken pieces and vegetables to a serving platter. Cover and keep warm. Boil liquid in both skillets, uncovered, until desired consistency. Skim off fat. Spoon sauce over chicken and vegetables. Sprinkle with remaining fresh thyme or parsley.
From the Test Kitchen
To peel onions, in a medium saucepan cook onions in boiling water for 30 seconds. Drain. Rinse with cold water. When cool enough to handle, cut a small slice from the root end. Squeeze from the other end to remove the onion from the peel.
**To finish in oven:
Use two oven-going skillets and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. After adding potatoes and returning mixture to boiling in step 3, cover skillets and place in oven. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink and instant-read thermometer registers temperatures as listed above. Transfer chicken and vegetables to platter and reduce sauce in skillets as above.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken Fricassee)
- Per serving:
- 535 kcal ,
- 33 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 15 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 138 mg chol. ,
- 517 mg sodium ,
- 19 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 38 g pro.