Chicken Chorizo Gumbo
- In a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven cook sausage over medium heat until bottom of pot has a thin layer of fat, about 4 minutes. Remove chorizo to a bowl, reserving drippings in pan.
- Add okra, celery, pepper, onion, and garlic to pan and cook for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer to bowl with sausage.
- Add oil to pan. Gradually whisk in flour. Cook, whisking constantly, for 6 minutes or until mixture turns a medium brown. Gradually whisk in broth. Stir in reserved sausage and vegetables, undrained tomatoes, chicken, and paprika. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer gently, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board; shred with 2 forks. Return chicken to gumbo; heat through. Season to taste.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, for Orange-Herbed Rice, stir 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley, 4 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel, and 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper into 4 cups hot cooked rice. Serve with gumbo.
In a 6-quart slow cooker stir together the chorizo, okra, celery, sweet pepper, onion, garlic, broth, tomatoes, chicken, and paprika. In a medium saucepan, cook oil and flour as above until medium brown. Carefully stir into mixture in cooker (mixture will foam up). Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 hours. Shred chicken as above; return to cooker to heat through. Season to taste.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken Chorizo Gumbo)
- Per serving:
- 401 kcal ,
- 28 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 280 mg chol. ,
- 897 mg sodium ,
- 19 g carb. ,
- 4 g fiber ,
- 6 g sugar ,
- 20 g pro.