Chicken, Bacon, and Cheddar Submarines
The day before:
- Sprinkle chicken with garlic salt and pepper. Brush both sides of onion slices with oil. For a charcoal grill, grill chicken and onion on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 12 to 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F) and onion is tender and lightly charred, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place chicken and onion on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.) Remove from grill. Thinly slice chicken. Separate onion into rings.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil. Place bacon on the prepared baking pan. Bake about 15 minutes or until bacon is crisp (you do not need to turn the bacon). Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise and mustard. Cut bread loaves in half horizontally. Hollow out the inside of each half, leaving a 3/4-inch shell. Spread the insides of bread halves with mayonnaise mixture. Layer the bottoms with chicken, onion, bacon, and cheese. Replace the tops; press down firmly. Tightly wrap each sandwich in foil and chill overnight.
- Tote foil-wrapped sandwiches in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, heat sandwiches, if desired. For a charcoal grill, heat foil-wrapped sandwiches on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals about 10 minutes or until heated through, turning every 2 minutes during grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place foil-wrapped sandwiches on grill rack over heat. Cover and heat as above.)
- Cut each sandwich into four portions. Secure each portion with a wooden pick; remove wooden picks before eating.
From the Test Kitchen
Insulated cooler with ice packs
On-site grill (optional)
Nutrition Facts (Chicken, Bacon, and Cheddar Submarines)
- Per serving:
- 623 kcal ,
- 25 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 67 mg chol. ,
- 1272 mg sodium ,
- 65 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 34 g pro.