Chicken, Asparagus, and Bacon Skillet
- In a large saucepan cook asparagus in a small amount of boiling water about 3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Immediately plunge asparagus into ice water to stop cooking.
- In an extra-large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon and drain on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Cook chicken in the reserved drippings over medium-high heat about 12 minutes or until brown, turning once. Remove chicken from skillet; keep warm.
- Add squash to skillet; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. In a medium bowl whisk together broth, flour, and lemon peel; add to skillet. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add asparagus and chicken to skillet. Cook about 6 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink (170 degrees F). Sprinkle with bacon. Serve with lemon wedges.
From the Test Kitchen
If you like, use 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and 1/4 cup dry white wine.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken, Asparagus, and Bacon Skillet)
- Per serving:
- 272 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 105 mg chol. ,
- 891 mg sodium ,
- 8 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 36 g pro.
How To Video
Vanessa Findiesen 1062 Days Ago
The recipe states it is a 14 ½ ounce can of broth.
Billie Owens 1276 Days Ago
After reading these comments, I was hesitant to try this recipe. But, since I already had all the ingredients, decided to try it. I was quite surprised. It was good, considering it's less than 300 calories. I thought it tasted better than the picture looks. My husband says it's a 3 1/2 - I'd give it 4 stars.
Theresa Derrick Larkins 1357 Days Ago
So dish. Not much flavor besides lemon. Needs something added.
Mary-Kay Sansone 1387 Days Ago
I LOVED this chicken dish! I added a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice, and it brightened up the flavor. I also used rotisserie chicken legs and thighs (precooked), which only made cooking this recipe a little faster. We decided next time to use more yellow squash (or add some zucchini squash with the yellow), and maybe some mushrooms. Other than that, very simple, very easy... very delish!
Shar Monroe 1488 Days Ago
I made this tonight and agree with Michelleheck1. I actually did add garlic and rosemary (though not much), and it was still so-so. If it weren't for the very seasoned sweet potato fries I'd included, I'm not sure if I'd make this again. Bottom line: Definitely not as flavorful as it looks in the pics. Very easy to make though.
michelleheck1 1496 Days Ago
Made this tonight & it was so-so. It was easy to make, but it lacked flavor. I would add garlic next time while cooking the squash, and double the bacon.
Erynn 1508 Days Ago
please specify how much chicken broth is required in the list of ingredients. i tried to determine it myself and it threw off my entire cooking process. thank you.