Chicken and Vegetable Soup with Pasta
- In a large saucepan cook onion, carrot, sweet pepper, and garlic in hot oil over medium heat 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in broth and chicken. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 5 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cooked pasta and heat through
- Add baby spinach and parsley to soup; cook 1 to 2 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
From the Test Kitchen
Vegetable and Rice Soup with Sweet Potatoes:
Prepare as directed, except substitute 1 cup chopped, peeled sweet potato for the red sweet pepper, 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger for the garlic, and 1 1/2 cups cooked white rice for the pasta. Omit chicken and spinach.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 168 calories, 6 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate. 4 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 4 g total sugar, 149% Vitamin A, 11% Vitamin C, 586 mg sodium, 5% calcium, 10% iron
Chicken and Barley Soup with Kale:
Prepare as directed, except add 1 cup cubed fresh butternut squash in Step 1. Add 1/4 teaspoon each ground coriander, ground cumin, and ground turmeric and a dash cayenne pepper in Step 2. Substitute 1 cup cooked barley or rice for the pasta and finely chopped Tuscan kale or Swiss chard leaves for the spinach. Omit parsley.
Nutrition analysis per serving: 299 calories, 28 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 10 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 62 mg cholesterol, 6 g fiber, 5 g total sugar, 272% Vitamin A, 192% Vitamin C, 655 mg sodium, 17% calcium, 20% iron
Nutrition Facts (Chicken and Vegetable Soup with Pasta)
- Per serving:
- 320 kcal ,
- 9 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 62 mg chol. ,
- 672 mg sodium ,
- 29 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 4 g sugar ,
- 29 g pro.