Chicken and Tortillas with Tomatillo Sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large saucepan combine chicken thighs and enough cold water to cover; add 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Bring to boiling over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until chicken is tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a large bowl; let cool. Discard cooking liquid. When chicken is cool enough to handle, use two forks to pull meat apart into shreds. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to boiling. Add tomatillos and cook for 3 minutes; drain. Transfer tomatillos to a food processor or blender; add garlic, chile peppers, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and process or blend until smooth.
- In a medium bowl combine shredded cheese, cream cheese, and chili powder, stirring with a wooden spoon until combined.
- Coat a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon one-third of the tomatillo mixture into the prepared baking dish. Lay two of the tortillas over the tomatillo mixture. Top with half of the chicken and half of the cheese mixture. Top with another two tortillas, another one-third of the tomatillo mixture, and two more tortillas. Top with the remaining chicken and the remaining cheese mixture. Top with the remaining two tortillas and the remaining tomatillo mixture. Cover with foil.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until heated through and bubbly around the edges. If desired, top with cherry tomatoes and cilantro.
From the Test Kitchen
If you can't find fresh tomatillos, use 5 cups quartered canned tomatillos. Do not cook in boiling water. Combine in a food processor with garlic, chile peppers, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Continue as directed.
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken and Tortillas with Tomatillo Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 445 kcal ,
- 23 g fat
- 94 mg chol. ,
- 790 mg sodium ,
- 36 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 24 g pro.