Chicken and Green Chili Tamales
- In a large bowl combine corn husks and enough boiling water to cover. Weight down with a heavy pan lid or plate. Let stand about 30 minutes or until corn husks are soft and pliable. Drain well; pat dry with paper towels.
- For filling, in a medium bowl combine the chicken and salsa.
- For dough, in a large mixing bowl beat masa harina, oil, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and the baking powder with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined. Gradually beat in enough of the broth to make a thick creamy paste.
- To assemble each tamale, starting about 1 1/2 inches from the wide top edge of a corn husk, spread about 2 tablespoons of the dough into a 3x4-inch rectangle so the side of the dough is along the long edge of the husk. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the filling down center of dough. Fold the long edge of husk over the filling so it overlaps dough slightly. Roll husk around outside of filled dough rectangle. Tie ends securely with strips of corn husk or 100-percent-cotton kitchen string. Repeat with the remaining corn husks, dough, and filling.
- To steam, stand tamales upright in a steamer basket set over at least 1 1/2 inches of boiling water in a deep Dutch oven. Don't pack them in too tightly, but fill the space. Cover basket. Reduce heat to medium. Steam about 30 minutes or until tamales easily pull away from corn husks and dough is spongy. Carefully remove from steamer. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. They will get firmer as they cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine the tomatoes, onions, cilantro, jalapeno pepper, lime juice, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the black pepper. Mix well. Serve over tamales.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
To Make Ahead:
Place the cooked tamales in the corn husks in a freezer container; cover. Freeze for up to 1 month. To serve, remove frozen tamales from freezer container. Place tamales in a steamer basket over gently boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken and Green Chili Tamales)
- Per serving:
- 233 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 47 mg chol. ,
- 591 mg sodium ,
- 24 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 12 g pro.