Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine chicken, enchilada sauce, green chile peppers, onion, oregano, garlic, and cayenne pepper. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 to 3 hours. Remove chicken from cooker, reserving cooking liquid. When chicken is cool enough to handle, use two forks to pull chicken apart into shreds. Place shredded chicken in a bowl. Stir in enough of the reserved cooking liquid to moisten (about 1 1/4 cups). Stir in beans, 1/2 cup cheese, and green onions.
- Grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside. Spoon about 1/3 cup of the chicken mixture onto each tortilla near an edge; roll up. Place filled tortillas, seam sides down, in the prepared baking dish.
- Cover baking dish with plastic wrap, then with foil. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight (enchiladas may still be a bit icy). Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Pour Chile Enchilada Sauce over enchiladas; re-cover with foil. Bake for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or until heated through. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 5 minutes more. If desired, serve with salsa.
From the Test Kitchen
For faster preparation of the filling, omit Step 1. In a medium bowl combine 3 1/2 cups shredded purchased roasted chicken; one 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained; 1/2 cup shredded Mexican-style four-cheese blend (2 ounces); and 1/2 cup sliced green onions (4). Continue as directed in Step 2.
Chile Enchilada Sauce
- In a bowl combine enchilada sauce, vegetable broth, and green chiles.
Nutrition Facts (Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas)
- Per serving:
- 330 kcal ,
- 11 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 54 mg chol. ,
- 854 mg sodium ,
- 35 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 25 g pro.