Chianti-Braised Stuffed Meat Loaf
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl combine eggs, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, green onions, basil, tomato paste, 1/4 cup wine, garlic, and salt. Add ground beef; mix well. Divide meat mixture in half.
- In a 3-quart rectangular baking dish pat half of the meat mixture into a 9x5-inch rectangle, building up the edges to make a 1-inch-deep well in the center. Spoon Cheese Filling into the well. Top with the remaining meat mixture; pinch top and bottom edges together to seal. If necessary, gently reshape loaf into a 9x5-inch rectangle. Pour 1/2 cup wine into dish around loaf.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the meat registers 160 degrees F. Spoon 2 tablespoons wine over meat loaf; top with mozzarella cheese. Bake about 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Using two large spatulas, transfer meat loaf to a serving platter. Garnish with parsley and/or basil.
From the Test Kitchen
If desired, use a mixture of ground beef, bulk mild Italian sausage, and uncooked ground turkey.
- In a medium bowl combine cheese, pine nuts, dried tomatoes, basil, oil, and, if desired, lemon peel.
Nutrition Facts (Chianti-Braised Stuffed Meat Loaf)
- Per serving:
- 474 kcal ,
- 30 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 11 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 123 mg chol. ,
- 566 mg sodium ,
- 12 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 35 g pro.
Randy Sylvester 1521 Days Ago
Pretty good, used 1lb mild Italian w/ 1lb ground sirloin, a tad on the rich side. will do again.