Cherry Surprise Crinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and almond extract until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour and the cherries.
- Divide dough into 36 equal portions.* Shape each portion into a ball around a Kiss. Place balls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until bottoms are light golden brown. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. Lightly dust cooled cookies with powdered sugar.
From the Test Kitchen
To divide the dough equally, pat dough into a rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 6 equal rows then cut rows into 6 equal portions.
Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Cherry Surprise Crinkles)
- Per serving:
- 97 kcal ,
- 4 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 12 mg chol. ,
- 56 mg sodium ,
- 15 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 9 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.
Seemed like there was too much flour, I had to handle the dough way too much to get it to hold together which resulted in a tough crust. One odd thing in this recipe is the baking powder. I've looked through all my faves (choc chip, oatmeal, etc..) and none of them use baking powder.