Cherry Coconut Angel Rolls
- LIne the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper; set aside. In a large bowl whisk together flour, yeast, 3 tablespoons sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Using a cheese grater, grate the cold butter over the flour mixture and toss to coat. Add shortening to flour mixture. Using your fingers, massage the butter and shortening into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture and add the buttermilk. Using a wooden spoon, stir the mixture until the buttermilk is evenly distributed.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface. Knead for 3 to 5 minutes minutes or until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl coated with nonstick cooking spray; turn once to grease surface. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill 2 to 24 hours.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 15x12-inch rectangle; brush with melted butter. With a long side toward you, sprinkle the cherries, pecans, and coconut over the dough. Fold top and bottom thirds over filling. Pinch along the long open seam to seal.
- Using a serrated knife coated with nonstick cooking spray, cut rectangle crosswise into 10 pieces. Arrange the slices, cut sides up, in an even layer in prepared pan, folding each to form a U shape. Sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cover; let rise in warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the edges just start to brown and the middle of the buns are baked through. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Remove sides and bottom of pan.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and vanilla. Add enough milk to make a glaze of drizzling consistency. Drizzle over rolls. Serve warm.
From the Test Kitchen
Coat your knife with nonstick cooking spray for easier cutting.
Nutrition Facts (Cherry Coconut Angel Rolls)
- Per serving:
- 363 kcal ,
- 17 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 6 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 22 mg chol. ,
- 320 mg sodium ,
- 50 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 15 g sugar ,
- 4 g pro.