- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. For topping, in a medium bowl stir together flour, the 2 tablespoons sugar, the baking powder, salt, and, if desired, cinnamon. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; set aside.
- For filling, in a large saucepan combine the cherries, the 1 cup sugar, and the cornstarch. Cook over medium heat until cherries release their juice, stirring occasionally. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Keep filling hot.
- In a small bowl stir together egg and milk. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Transfer hot filling to a 2-quart square baking dish. Using a spoon, immediately drop flour mixture into six mounds on top of filling.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until topping is golden brown. If desired, serve warm with ice cream.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above, except substitute fresh or frozen sliced rhubarb for the cherries.
Blueberry or Peach Cobbler:
Prepare as above, except, for filling, in a saucepan combine 1/3 to 2/3 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, and 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Stir in 5 cups fresh or frozen blueberries or unsweetened peach slices. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
Apple or Pear Cobbler:
Prepare as above, except, for filling, in a saucepan combine 6 cups sliced, cored, and peeled cooking apples or pears; 1/3 to 1/2 cup sugar; and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Bring to boiling, stirring occasionally once fruit begins to release its juice; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or until fruit is almost tender, stirring occasionally. Stir together 2 tablespoons water and 1 tablespoon cornstarch; add to filling. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
Nutrition Facts (Cherry Cobbler)
- Per serving:
- 386 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 58 mg chol. ,
- 236 mg sodium ,
- 73 g carb. ,
- 3 g fiber ,
- 50 g sugar ,
- 5 g pro.