Cheesy Twice-Baked Potatoes
- Bake potatoes as directed; let stand about 10 minutes. Cut a lengthwise slice off the top of each baked potato; discard skin from slices and place pulp in a bowl. Scoop out potato pulp; add to the bowl.
- Mash the potato pulp with a potato masher or an electric mixer on low speed. Add sour cream, garlic salt, and pepper; beat until smooth. (If necessary, stir in 1 to 2 tablespoons milk to reach desired consistency.) Season to taste with salt and additional black pepper. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese and, if desired, chives. Spoon the mashed potato mixture into the potato shells. Place in a 2-quart baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 425 degrees F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until light brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 2 to 3 minutes more or until cheese melts.
From the Test Kitchen
8 To Try
1. Bacon-Cheddar: Prepare as directed, except in Step 2, stir in 1/3 cup crisp-cooked and crumbled bacon with the sour cream.
2. Southwestern: Prepare as directed, except in Step 2, substitute Monterey Jack cheese with jalapenos for the cheddar cheese and snipped fresh cilantro for the chives. Serve with purchased salsa.
3. Mushroom-Swiss: Prepare as directed, except in a large skillet saute 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms and 1 clove garlic, minced, in 1 tablespoon butter for 5 to 6 minutes or until tender and browned. Stir into mashed potato mixture. Substitute shredded Swiss cheese for the cheddar cheese and snipped fresh Italian parsley for the chives.
4. Roasted Poblano: Prepare as directed, except roast 2 poblano chile peppers. Peel and chop the peppers and stir into mashed potato mixture with the cheese. Substitute snipped fresh cilantro for the chives. If desired, garnish with additional cilantro.
5. Broccoli-Cheese: Prepare as directed, except stir 1 cup chopped cooked broccoli into the mashed potato mixture with the cheese. Substitute snipped fresh dill weed for the chives.
6. Roasted Garlic: Prepare as directed, except roast 1 head of garlic. Squeeze garlic from cloves and mash. Stir mashed garlic into the mashed potato mixture. Substitute finely shredded Parmesan cheese for the cheddar cheese. Garnish with additional Parmesan curls.
7. Leek-Cheddar: Prepare as directed, except in a medium skillet cook 2 leeks, halved and sliced, in 1 tablespoon olive oil for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Stir into mashed potato mixture. Substitute creme fraiche for the sour cream and substitute white cheddar cheese for the cheddar. If desired, top with additional creme fraiche.
8. Gruyere-Lemon: Prepare as directed except substitute Gruyere cheese for the cheddar cheese and add 2 teaspoons finely shredded lemon peel; omit the chives. Garnish with additional lemon peel.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Scrub potatoes thoroughly with a brush; pat dry. Prick potatoes with a fork. (If desired, for soft skins, rub potatoes with shortening or wrap each potato in foil.)
- Bake potatoes in the preheated oven for 40 to 60 minutes (or in a 350 degrees F oven for 70 to 80 minutes) or until tender. To serve, roll each potato gently under your hand. Using a knife, cut an X in top of each potato. Press in and up on the ends of each potato.
Nutrition Facts (Cheesy Twice-Baked Potatoes)
- Per serving:
- 268 kcal ,
- 12 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 35 mg chol. ,
- 221 mg sodium ,
- 21 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 10 g pro.