Cheesy Mashed Potatoes with Gouda and Crispy Pancetta
- In a 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven cook potatoes, covered, in enough boiling lightly salted water to cover for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender; drain. Return potatoes to Dutch oven.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice green onions, keeping the white portions separate from the green tops. Set green tops aside. In a medium skillet cook white portions of onions and pancetta over medium-high heat about 8 minutes or until pancetta is crisp, stirring occasionally. Drain off fat.
- Add half-and-half to cooked potatoes. Mash with a potato masher or an electric mixer on low speed until nearly smooth. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of the cheese and the pancetta mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer mashed potatoes to a serving dish. Sprinkle with green tops of onions and the remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
From the Test Kitchen
Vegetarian? Use an equal amount of chopped artichoke hearts to replace the pancetta. Not a fan of Gouda? Replace it with smoked mozzarella. No green onions? Substitute fresh chives or Italian (flat-leaf) parsley.
To Make Ahead
Prepare as directed through Step 3. Transfer mashed potatoes to a greased 2-quart baking dish. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake, covered with foil, for 40 to 45 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts (Cheesy Mashed Potatoes with Gouda and Crispy Pancetta)
- Per serving:
- 272 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 47 mg chol. ,
- 502 mg sodium ,
- 21 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 13 g pro.