Beer & Cheddar Fondue
- In a large bowl combine cheddar cheese and American cheese. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; toss gently to coat.
- If desired, rub the bottom and side of a large saucepan with garlic halves; discard garlic. In the saucepan combine beer and bouillon granules. Bring to boiling over medium heat; reduce heat to medium-low. Gradually stir in cheese mixture, stirring after each addition until cheese is melted.
- Coat a 1-1/2-quart slow cooker with a car adapter with cooking spray or line the slow cooker with a disposable liner. Pour cheese mixture into the prepared cooker.
- Tightly cover slow cooker and tote in an insulated carrier. If using vegetable dippers, tote them in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
- At the tailgating site, plug slow cooker into car adapter and keep fondue warm on warm-heat setting. (Fondue will keep warm, covered, on warm-heat setting for up to 4 hours.) Stir fondue before serving. Serve with desired dippers.
From the Test Kitchen
Beer and Cheddar Fondue with Sausage:
Prepare as directed through Step 2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook 8 ounces bulk Italian or pork sausage over medium-high heat until brown, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat. Stir sausage into melted cheese mixture. Tote and serve as directed.
Nutrition Facts (Beer & Cheddar Fondue)
- Per serving:
- 140 kcal ,
- 10 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 32 mg chol. ,
- 350 mg sodium ,
- 2 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 0 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.