Make-Ahead Cheese Fondue Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 3-quart casserole with cooking spray; set aside. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Return pasta to pan; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine the shredded Swiss cheese, Gruyere cheese, flour, and garlic. Toss to combine. In a large saucepan heat broth and wine over medium heat just until bubbles form around edge of pan. Add cheese mixture, 1 cup at a time, whisking constantly after each addition until cheese melts. (Mixture may not be completely smooth at this point.) Do not boil. Remove from heat. Season to taste with pepper.
- Pour cheese mixture over pasta; stir gently to combine. Fold in the cubed Swiss cheese. Spoon pasta mixture into prepared casserole.
- In a small bowl combine crushed crackers and parsley. Sprinkle cracker mixture evenly over top of pasta mixture; dot with butter. If desired, sprinkle with paprika. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until bubbly and topping is golden.
From the Test Kitchen
For best results, shred the cheese just before using. Purchased preshredded cheese does not melt as well.
To tote this casserole to a potluck, prepare and bake as directed. Remove from oven; tightly cover with foil. Place casserole in an insulated casserole carrier with heating packs. Tote to destination; serve within 2 hours. Or tote tightly covered unbaked casserole in a cooler with cold packs to destination; bake as directed after arriving.
Prepare as directed, except stir 1/2 cup milk into cheese mixture at the end of Step 2. Cool cheese mixture and pasta slightly before combining. Continue with Step 3. Do not prepare or top with cracker mixture. Cover casserole; chill for up to 24 hours. To serve, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. If necessary, stir up to 1/2 cup additional milk into casserole to moisten. (If necessary, turn mixture into a larger bowl to combine.) Prepare cracker mixture; sprinkle on top of cheese mixture. Dot with butter. Bake for 1 hour or until bubbly and topping is golden.
Shrimp Fondue Casserole:
Prepare as directed, except substitute 1-1/2 teaspoons seafood seasoning for the pepper. Stir in 12 ounces fresh or frozen peeled, deveined uncooked small shrimp, halved lengthwise, and 1/2 cup sliced green onions (4) with the cubed Swiss cheese. (Thaw shrimp, if frozen.) Nutrition facts per serving: 764 cal., 46 g protein, 52 g carb., 38 g total fat, (23 g sat. fat), 181 mg chol., 834 mg sodium, 2 g dietary fiber, 25% vit. A, 5% vit. C, 96% calcium, 21% iron.
Nutrition Facts (Make-Ahead Cheese Fondue Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 717 kcal ,
- 37 g fat
- (22 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 10 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 116 mg chol. ,
- 647 mg sodium ,
- 51 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 3 g sugar ,
- 37 g pro.