The day before:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a 15x10x1-inch baking pan with foil or parchment paper. Tightly wrap each cocktail wiener in a piece of bacon; secure with a wooden toothpick. Place in the prepared baking pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until bacon is brown and slightly crisp. Cool for 10 minutes. Remove and discard toothpicks. Place wieners in a storage container; cover and chill overnight.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan heat butter over medium heat until melted. Add onion and garlic; cook for 5 to 8 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in beer, pasta sauce, hot pepper sauce, and chili powder. Transfer to a storage container; cover and chill overnight.
- Transfer cocktail wieners and sauce mixture to a 1 1/2-quart slow cooker with a car adapter. Cover and reheat on low-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or until heated through.
- Tightly cover slow cooker and tote in an insulated carrier. At the tailgating site, plug slow cooker into car adapter and keep cocktail wieners warm on warm-heat setting.
From the Test Kitchen
If you like, double the recipe and use a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker with a car adapter.
1 1/2-quart slow cooker with a car adapter
Nutrition Facts (Cheddar-Beer Weenies)
- Per serving:
- 500 kcal ,
- 46 g fat
- (18 g sat. fat ,
- 3 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 19 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 88 mg chol. ,
- 1211 mg sodium ,
- 6 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 2 g sugar ,
- 14 g pro.
suepleiness 185 Days Ago
very spicy, next time I will not add the
Robin F Alwine 605 Days Ago
Might have to try this one! Sounds so good!
Carrie Mascio Pippen 1049 Days Ago
For a dump style recipe I cook the weenies in a big pan while cooking the bacon in another pan. Chop the bacon place weenies and bacon in a slow cooker. Make the cheese sauce and put on top. Let it slow cook for 4 hours. People went nuts over it