- Grease and lightly flour 8 miniature (3 1/2-inch) fluted tube pans or jumbo muffin cups.* In a medium bowl stir together the first four ingredients (through baking soda). Crush 1/4 cup of the chamomile flowers.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl beat butter with a mixer on medium to high 30 seconds. Gradually add 1 cup of the granulated sugar, beating on medium until light and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating 1 minute after each and scraping bowl frequently. Add flour mixture and sour cream alternately, beating on low after each addition just until combined. Fold in the crushed chamomile flowers.
- Divide batter among pans or cups. Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans or cups; cool on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, for syrup, in a small saucepan stir together the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and the water. Heat over medium heat until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add 1/4 cup chamomile flowers. Cover and let stand 20 minutes. Strain syrup; discard chamomile.
- Place a rimmed pan under the cakes. Poke cakes with a fork. Slowly spoon syrup over cakes. Cool completely. In a small bowl stir together powdered sugar and the 1 tsp. chamomile flowers. Sprinkle over cakes.
From the Test Kitchen
If you only have six tube pans or jumbo muffin cups, chill the remaining batter while the first batch bakes. Cool the pans between batches, then grease and flour before adding the batter.
Nutrition Facts (Chamomile Cakes)
- Per serving:
- 394 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 107 mg chol. ,
- 237 mg sodium ,
- 58 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 39 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.