Challah Stuffing with Fennel and Dried Fruit
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread bread cubes in a shallow roasting pan. Bake about 20 minutes or until toasted, stirring twice; cool. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside. In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and fennel; cook for 12 to 15 minutes or until fennel is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in orange juice, apricots, figs, cherries, plums, snipped tarragon, salt, and nutmeg. Bring just to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in walnuts.
- In an extra-large bowl combine bread cubes and fruit mixture. In a medium bowl combine eggs and milk. Add egg mixture to bread mixture, tossing gently to moisten. Transfer mixture to the prepared roasting pan.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Bake, uncovered, about 30 minutes more or until heated through. If desired, garnish with tarragon.
From the Test Kitchen
Can't find challah? Try brioche. Not a fan of figs? Use dates. Not a fan of fennel? Use 2 cups chopped carrots in place of the fennel.
Nutrition Facts (Challah Stuffing with Fennel and Dried Fruit)
- Per serving:
- 336 kcal ,
- 15 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat ,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 2 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 88 mg chol. ,
- 336 mg sodium ,
- 47 g carb. ,
- 5 g fiber ,
- 20 g sugar ,
- 10 g pro.