- In a small bowl combine milk and 1 3/4 cups cereal; let stand 15 minutes. Strain; discarding cereal.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 8-inch round cake pans. Line bottoms with waxed paper or parchment paper; grease paper. Flour insides of pans. Set aside.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter. Set aside remaining butter to soften. In a large bowl beat cake mix, 1 cup of the reserved cereal milk, eggs, and melted butter with a mixer on medium for 2 minutes. Divide batter between prepared pans.
- Bake 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Let cool in pans on wire rack 15 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.
- In a large bowl beat softened butter, alternately add powdered sugar, and 2 to 3 tablespoons of the remaining cereal milk until desired consistency, beating well between additions. Beat in salt and, if desired, almond extract. Continue beating mixture for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Stack cake layers on a cake stand or serving dish with frosting between the layers. Frost the top and the sides of the cake. Attach wafers vertically to cover the sides of the cake. Top cake with 2 cups cereal to look like a cereal bowl. Insert serving spoon into cake to look like a cereal spoon.
- Tape a wooden dowel to the inside of the cereal box. Spoon white chocolate over dowel to coat. Sprinkle some of the remaining cereal over the dowel to coat. Let stand until chocolate is set or chill to quickly set. Insert dowel into cake.
From the Test Kitchen
Use the cereal from the box as part of the 4 cups desired cereal.
Nutrition Facts (Cereal Cake)
- Per serving:
- 785 kcal ,
- 31 g fat
- (19 g sat. fat ,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 5 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 107 mg chol. ,
- 571 mg sodium ,
- 122 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 92 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.