- Grease and lightly flour two 9x9x2-inch baking pans; set aside. Prepare batter for 1 package of the cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into one of the prepared baking pans, spreading evenly. Repeat with the remaining package of cake mix. Bake cakes for the amount of time directed for a 13x9-inch cake; cool as directed. Trim rounded tops of cake layers flat. Cut a 3-inch square from the center of each cake layer. For bricks, cut each 3-inch square into two 1 1/2 x 3-inch rectangles.
- Tint 4 cups of the Creamy White Frosting pink. Spread the top of one 9-inch square layer with pink frosting; top with the second 9-inch square layer. Spread top, sides, and insides of cake with pink frosting.
- For ribbons and windows, place taffy candy on plastic wrap. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 5 seconds. Flatten candy with a rolling pin. Cut candy into four ribbons and desired number of windows. While still soft, wrap wide ends of ribbons around 8-inch wooden skewers. Set aside.
- Microwave the remaining pink frosting in a microwave-safe bowl on high for 5 to 10 seconds or until melted to the consistency of thin pancake batter. Stir frosting; repeat as necessary until melted. Place the four bricks and the ice cream cones on a wire rack set over waxed paper. Spoon the melted frosting over bricks and cones to cover completely, letting excess drip off. If desired, while melted frosting is still wet, sprinkle cones with jimmies. Using a clean thumbtack or pin, poke a hole in the point of each cone; insert a skewer with ribbon into hole. Let bricks and cones stand until melted frosting is set.
- To decorate castle, use a small amount of the remaining 1 cup white frosting to attach milk chocolate bar for a door; outline door with chocolate pieces. Attach windows to castle with white frosting. If desired, pipe decorating icing onto windows to resemble panes. Place the remaining white frosting in a decorating bag fitted with a writing tip. Pipe borders on top and bottom edges of cake, bricks, and turrets.
- To assemble castle, place an ice cream cone on top of the cake in each corner for a turret, pressing skewer into cake to secure. Arrange bricks along edges of cake between turrets.
Creamy White Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl beat shortening, vanilla, and almond extract with an electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add about half of the powdered sugar, beating well. Beat in 2 tablespoons of the milk. Gradually beat in the remaining powdered sugar and enough of the remaining milk to reach spreading consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Creamy White Frosting)
- Per serving:
- 298 kcal ,
- 16 g fat
- ( 4 g sat. fat ,
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 2 mg sodium ,
- 38 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 0 g pro.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a mixing bowl beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla with a mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in powdered sugar to reach spreading consistency. This frosts the tops and sides of two 8- or 9-inch cake layers. (Halve recipe for a 139-inch cake.) Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts (Cream Cheese Frosting)
- Per serving:
- 348 kcal ,
- 14 g fat
- ( 9 g sat. fat ,
- 41 mg chol. ,
- 116 mg sodium ,
- 56 g carb. ,
- 0 g fiber ,
- 1 g pro.
- In an extra-large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Gradually add 2 cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Gradually beat in 1/3 cup milk and vanilla. Gradually beat in the remaining powdered sugar until smooth. Beat in enough additional milk to reach spreading consistency. If desired, tint with food coloring. This frosts tops and sides of two 8- or 9-inch cake layers. (Halve the recipe to frost a 13x9-inch cake or 10-inch fluted tube cake.)
From the Test Kitchen
Citrus Butter Frosting:
Substitute lemon or orange juice for the milk and add 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lemon or orange peel.
Chocolate Butter Frosting:
Substitute 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder for 1/2 cup of the powdered sugar.
Coffee Butter Frosting:
Add 1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee powder or coffee crystals with the powdered sugar or substitute strong brewed coffee for the milk.
Peppermint Butter Frosting:
Substitute 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract for the vanilla and tint pink with red food coloring.
Almond Butter Frosting:
Substitute 1/2 teaspoon almond extract for the vanilla.
Milk Chocolate Butter Frosting:
Melt 1 cup milk chocolate pieces and beat into the butter before adding the powdered sugar.
Peanut Butter Butter Frosting:
Beat 1/2 cup peanut butter into the butter before adding the powdered sugar.
Spice Butter Frosting:
Add 1 to 2 teaspoons apple pie spice or pumpkin pie spice with the powdered sugar.
Strawberry Butter Frosting:
Beat 1/3 cup strawberry jam into the butter before adding the powdered sugar.
Irish Cream Butter Frosting:
Substitute Irish cream liqueur for the milk.
Nutrition Facts (Castle Cake)
- Per serving:
- 979 kcal ,
- 48 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat ,
- 12 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 19 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 91 mg chol. ,
- 529 mg sodium ,
- 135 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 100 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.