Cast-Iron Hot Gingerbread Cookie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Using the softened butter, generously butter a 7- to 8-inch cast-iron skillet or two individual 10- to 12-ounce cast-iron skillets or casseroles (such as 5-inch skillets or 4 1/2x3-inch casseroles). In a medium bowl stir together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt; set aside.
- In another medium bowl beat shortening with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl often. Beat in egg and molasses until combined. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour mixture. Pour into the prepared skillet(s), spreading evenly.
- Bake skillet(s) with dough until edges of cookie are set. Allow about 18 minutes for large skillet or 12 to 14 minutes for small skillets. In another large skillet cook pineapple slices in 1 tablespoon hot butter over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
- Cool slightly (center[s] will fall slightly). If desired, cut up pineapple. Top gingerbread cookie(s) with pineapple and, if desired, drizzle with ice cream topping. Serve with scoops of ice cream.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as directed through Step 2, except do not preheat oven. For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around edges of grill, leaving center of grill with no coals. Test for medium heat above center of grill. Place skillet(s) in center of grill rack (not over coals). Cover and grill until edges of cookie are set. Allow 15 to 18 minutes for large skillet or 10 to 12 minutes for small skillets. For the last 5 to 10 minutes of grilling, add pineapple slices to grill, placing them directly over the coals; cover and grill until pineapple is golden brown, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Place skillet[s] over burner that is off and later place pineapple over heat. Grill as above.) Continue as directed in Step 3.
For eight servings, double the recipe and use two 7- to 8-inch cast-iron skillets.
Nutrition Facts (Cast-Iron Hot Gingerbread Cookie)
- Per serving:
- 624 kcal ,
- 31 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat ,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 7 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 81 mg chol. ,
- 348 mg sodium ,
- 82 g carb. ,
- 2 g fiber ,
- 53 g sugar ,
- 7 g pro.