Cashew Torte Cookies
- In a large bowl beat shortening and butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, the 1/4 cup brown sugar, the baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour and the ground cashews.
- Divide the dough into four equal portions. Shape each portion into a 6-inch roll. Wrap rolls in plastic wrap or waxed paper. Chill for 4 to 24 hours or until dough is firm enough to slice.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut rolls into 1/4-inch slices. Place slices 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Press cashew halves into the tops of one-third of the cookies. Bake about 8 minutes or until edges are firm and slightly golden. Transfer cookies to wire racks; cool.
- Meanwhile, for filling, in a medium bowl stir together mascarpone cheese, apple butter, the 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and mace until smooth.
- For each torte, spread about 1 teaspoon filling on the bottom side of a plain cookie. Top with another plain cookie, bottom side down. Spread about 1 teaspoon filling on second cookie. Top with a nut-topped cookie, bottom side down. Let tortes stand about 30 minutes before serving to soften.
From the Test Kitchen
Cashews possess a sweet, buttery flavor and contain about 48 percent fat. Because of their high fat content, cashews should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator to prevent rancidity.
A bright red, lacy membrane that covers the nutmeg seed, mace tastes and smells like a more pungent version of nutmeg. When the removed membrane is dried, it becomes a yellow-orange color.
Layer unfilled cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Nutrition Facts (Cashew Torte Cookies)
- Per serving:
- 221 kcal ,
- 13 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 4 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 32 mg chol. ,
- 116 mg sodium ,
- 24 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 13 g sugar ,
- 3 g pro.