Cashew-Crusted Caramel Cream Pie
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. For crust, in a food processor combine cashews and graham cracker crumbs. Cover and process with several on/off pulses to form fine crumbs. Add granulated sugar and melted butter. Cover and process with several on/off pulses to combine. Spread mixture in a 9-inch pie plate; press evenly onto bottom and sides. Set aside.
- In a medium heavy saucepan stir together brown sugar and flour. Whisk in milk and egg yolks. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in 2 tablespoons butter until melted. Stir in vanilla. Cover and keep warm.
- Prepare Brown Sugar Meringue. Pour warm egg yolk mixture into crust. Immediately spread meringue over warm filling, sealing to edges of crust. Use a spoon to swirl meringue into peaks.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until meringue is firm and golden. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Chill for 4 hours before serving; cover pie for longer storage.
From the Test Kitchen
Salted cashews add a nice flavor contrast to the sweetness of the pie.
Brown Sugar Meringue
- In a large bowl let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Add vanilla, cream of tartar, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed about 1 minute or until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form (tips stand straight) and brown sugar is dissolved.
Nutrition Facts (Cashew-Crusted Caramel Cream Pie)
- Per serving:
- 419 kcal ,
- 21 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 8 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 106 mg chol. ,
- 249 mg sodium ,
- 51 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 34 g sugar ,
- 8 g pro.