- In a 4- to 6-quart heavy pot combine the first 10 ingredients (through crushed red pepper). Bring to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10 to 12 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Use a potato masher to mash mixture slightly.
- Add vinegar, figs, and honey. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes or until syrup is thickened, stirring frequently to prevent mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan and burning. Remove from heat.
- Ladle hot chutney into hot, sterilized half-pint canning jars, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids and screw bands.
- Process filled jars in a boiling-water canner 10 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling). Remove jars from canner; cool on wire racks.
From the Test Kitchen
Test Kitchen Tip
Fresh fennel bulbs have a light green hue and deep green feathery fronds on top. Look for crisp, clean bulbs without blemishes. Cut the bulbs into quarters from top to bottom, then cut out the tough core.
If necessary, stir in additional honey before serving. Maple syrup is delicious in this chutney as well!
Nutrition Facts (Carrot-Fennel-Fig Chutney)
- Per serving:
- 35 kcal ,
- 0 g fat
- (0 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 0 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 0 mg chol. ,
- 8 mg sodium ,
- 9 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 8 g sugar ,
- 0 g pro.