Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Mascarpone Frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans and line with parchment paper; set aside. Finely shred 3 of the carrots and coarsely shred 1 carrot. In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, cardamom, and nutmeg; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually beat in sugar until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in the carrots and vanilla until combined. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, beating just until combined after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk to butter mixture (batter will be thick).
- Thoroughly wash beaters. In a clean large mixing bowl beat egg whites with electric mixer just until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold into butter mixture. Divide between prepared pans filling with about 3 cups batter (about 1/3 full). Bake for 30 minutes or until cakes pull away from sides of pans and a toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely. Spread with frosting.
From the Test Kitchen
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 6-inch round cake pans. Prepare cake batter as directed. Fill each pan with 11 ounces (312 grams) cake batter (1/3 full). Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely. Make cupcakes with remaining batter by spooning batter into paper bake cup-lined 2 1/2-inch muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full. Bake for 18 minutes or until done. Cool in cups 5 minutes; remove and cool on wire racks.
- In a very large mixing bowl beat butter, cream cheese, and mascarpone cheese until combined. Add the salt, cardamon and vanilla. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth. Do not overbeat.
Nutrition Facts (Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Mascarpone Frosting)
- Per serving:
- 682 kcal ,
- 42 g fat
- (25 g sat. fat ,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 9 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 171 mg chol. ,
- 292 mg sodium ,
- 72 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 55 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.