Cardamom Kulfi with Grilled Pineapple
- In a food processor or blender combine 1/2 cup of the milk, the bread pieces, and cornstarch. Cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet bring the remaining 3-1/2 cups milk just to boiling over medium-high heat; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 12 minutes or until milk is reduced to 2-1/2 cups, stirring frequently.
- Stir bread mixture into the reduced milk. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 4 minutes. Stir in sugar; simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Stir in cardamom. Cool slightly.
- Pour cooled milk mixture into a 2-quart square baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap touching the surface; freeze for 1 hour. Stir mixture. Cover and freeze about 4 hours more or until firm. Let kulfi stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, peel and core pineapple; cut fruit into 3/4-inch-thick wedges. Thread pineapple wedges onto wooden* or metal skewers.
- For a charcoal grill, grill pineapple skewers on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 8 to 10 minutes or until pineapple is warm and shows grill marks, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place pineapple skewers on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as directed.) Serve grilled pineapple topped with scoops of cardamom kulfi.
From the Test Kitchen
If using wooden skewers, soak them in enough water to cover for at least 30 minutes before using.
Nutrition Facts (Cardamom Kulfi with Grilled Pineapple)
- Per serving:
- 183 kcal ,
- 6 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 1 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 16 mg chol. ,
- 94 mg sodium ,
- 29 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 23 g sugar ,
- 6 g pro.